A big thanks to author Robin Mellom for coming out and reading with the general public and ladies from the Rosa T. Beard Debutante Society. Jahkim Gary helped Robin present an excerpt from her latest book, “The Classroom: Student Council Smackdown!”. Refreshments were yummy, the conversation was flowing and a fun time was had by all.
Be on the lookout for upcoming YA author appearances and Skypes. You don’t want to miss out on the next big Fandom phenom. We’ve had Robin and Jessica Khoury this year and both authors are getting big buzz about possible tv and movie options. Make sure you meet them here first before they become the next Stephanie Myers or Suzanne Collins and “catch fire.”
For the week of July 1 -7, 2013, Young Adults @ Augusta Library (YA@AL) plans the following activities on the 2nd floor of Headquarters:
BENEATH THE SURFACE FILM FEST
Wednesday, July 3rd @ 3:00 pm
(changed from The Goonies)
Eight kids of wildly disparate ethnic, class, and regional backgrounds are followed from their individual hometowns to Washington D.C. for the 1999 National Spelling Bee Finals. Also, read an article about what the winner is doing with her life nearly 15 years later.
THE CLASSICS CAFÉ
Wednesday, July 3rd @ 6:00 pm
Lord of the Flies
Moderator Mary Halstead breaks this classic book (a staple on many summer reading lists) all the way down in easy-to-understand language. Come in your most casual wear, kick your shoes off and join her for refreshments and fun.
Thursday, July 4th
Library Is Closed
THE CLASSICS CAFÉ
Sunday, July 7th @ 2:00 pm
Mary Halstead breaks this classic book down (another staple on many summer reading lists) “about a long walk taken by a bunch of short men.” As always, come in your most casual wear, kick your shoes off and join her for refreshments and fun.
Did you know there are some colleges in this country that do not charge tuition? Follow the links below to find out about some of their locations and programs offered.
Dear Parents and Members:
Much thanks to you all. We’ve had a great year so far. Everybody seems to really be enjoying coming to the library to get “The Scoop.” It’s now time for our group to also get down to business.
From now on, all updates will be posted to the blog and/or “snail mailed” to you by the 15th of each month. It is your responsibility to be aware of the information and to contact the YA Librarian with questions, comments and/or personal contact and scheduling updates. Come to each meeting mindful of the month’s agenda, prepared to suggest dates and times for activities that will work for your personal schedule and prepared to vote on any issues you have not already voted on online.
We were scheduled to do an art project at the May meeting but that has been postponed for more pressing business.
Tag Meetings will be held the first 15 minutes of every scheduled Monthly After Hours Scavenger Hunt. The monthly schedule is listed below. If you are on a sub-committee scheduled to present at a meeting, please be prepared to speak no more than 3 to 5 minutes. Your sub-committee should have spoken to each other by phone, Skype or met at the library at least 15 minutes prior to our monthly meeting to decide on your presentation. Presentations can be as short as a bulleted list of ideas or as detailed as a Powerpoint. Let me know in advance if you require A/V equipment for your presentation. Once you present, the entire TAG group will vote on how to proceed with your ideas. Adoption of the final plan will be voted on no later than the next meeting or tabled for future discussion.
REMEMBER: Our implied goal is fun through education, so let’s keep our meetings fun and educational (and quick) also.
Monthly After Hours Scavenger Hunts (5:30 pm every month unless otherwise noted)
- June 21, 2013
- July 26, 2013
- August 30, 2013
- September 27, 2013
- October 25, 2013
- November 22, 2013
- Friday, December 27, 2013: End of Year Awards Program instead of Scavenger Hunt (see below)
YA Summer Reading Program 2013 (SRP 2013)
- Reading Logs are available now at any ECGRL library. To complete a log, you must read 15 hours and record each hour on a line on the log. All logs must be submitted by July 26. There are surprise Grand Prizes for this year’s program, so tell your friends they can’t win if they don’t read (and playJ).
- As a TAG member, you must participate in SRP 2013 AND recruit 5 people to do so also. They should write your name (in addition to their own) on the log or you can turn theirs in with yours to me.
Block Party Volunteering
- We need as many TAG members as possible to volunteer on Saturday, June 1 at the SRP 2013 Kickoff Block Party at Headquarters. You and our Humanitree Inc. participants will be manning the Children’s Game Area and helping the Rolling Video game truck. Please call or email me this week letting me know in two hour blocks when you can volunteer.
- 9:00 – 11:00 am ___________
- 11:00 am – 1:00 pm ___________
- 1:00 pm – 3:00 pm ___________
- 2:00 pm – 4:00 pm ___________
The Great Library Juniorjunior Prom
- Our formal “prom” is scheduled for Friday, June 7 from 5:30 pm to 9:00 pm.
- Please dress up as you will be recognized sometime during the night.
- We’ll have free food, drink and dancing. If you would like to be a “DJ” let me know. You’ll email me your playlist of 20 to 30 minutes of songs and be on the “mic” when your playlist plays at the event.
- Please try and arrive between 5:30 pm and 6:00 pm to walk the “Red Carpet.” You will be photographed.
- You are free to leave after the 7:30 pm remarks.
- Invite everybody you know as we will be giving out SRP 2013 Reading Logs. Make sure they RSVP to the following:
- Programming Sheet
- Check the monthly Upcoming YA Events post on the blog and the yellow sheet included in your May mailing. Please participate in and bring friends to as many programs as possible.
- Teen Screen
- Any day this summer that you want something to do and that something isn’t already scheduled in the space, you can bring a movie or get a movie from the 1st floor and screen it for you and your friends in the YA Room. Movies must be rated PG-13 or lower. Please email or call me in advance for permission for PG-17 or unrated titles. No other titles will be considered.
- Participation Log Sheets will be distributed at the June meeting. These will detail all requirements you have met so far and what you still have to complete. We will make corrections and updates at that meeting so please make plans to attend (June 21 @ 5:30 pm).
- Members must agree to call, Skype or physically attend 5 of 11 total meetings per calendar year.
- Members must call to make arrangements to receive information by phone, email or “snail mail” by the Friday of the week following the meeting they missed.
- Members must vote on actions at each meeting they attend.
- Members must agree to suggest at least 5 activities or events for the group to produce each calendar year.
- Members must agree to attend at least 5 YA@AL activities or events the group produces each calendar year.
- Members must agree to distribute Monthly Event Handouts at church, school, local businesses or other outlets to youth 11 to 17 years old.
- Members must bring a minimum of 5 different guests total to events each calendar year.
- Members must agree to participate in the Summer Reading Program (SRP) and submit their completed SRP log by the due date.
- Members must recruit at least 5 SRP participants.
- Members must agree to respect other TAG members by not dismissing or demeaning their contributions to discussions and activities.
- Members must agree to represent themselves, their families, the TAG group, YA@AL, and ECGRL in a positive and meaningful manner at all times.
Fall/Winter Program Planning
- August – November: We need to solidify dates and times for the following activities at the June meeting. Please come prepared with suggestions.
- Back To School Open House
- The Breakfast Club Breakfast (tentative)
- Robin Melloms Reading & Book Signing
- Scavenger Hunt Themes for 2014
End of Year Awards Program – December Activity
- Friday, December 27, 2013 @ 6:30 pm will be our year end activity at Headquarters. This will be held instead of the Monthly After Hours Scavenger Hunt. All TAG members who have fulfilled their annual requirements will be honored.